Slow and Steady

Week 6 Day 2 

Duration: 54 minutes
Warm up: 5 minutes
Run: 44 minutes
Cool down: 5 minutes

3.41 miles/5.5 kilometres

A little back story about my day before I get into what speed I did what at today.  I volunteered for my daughters field trip to Fort Whyte Alive today.  It was mostly outdoors and it's -37 (Celsius) with the windchill today here which is COLD!  We did lots of walking, some snowshoeing and had lots of fun despite the deep freeze we're in.  The snowshoeing is a great glute workout by the way!  Knowing it was run day I thought I'd get it out of the way right when we got home.  I did some extra stretching before knowing my legs were cold and a bit stiff from all of the activities we did today.  

Everything started out okay.  I did the warm up at 3.4mph and then bumped it up to 3.6mph for the last 3 minutes of the warm up.  The run portion was started at 4.4mph with the intention of slowly going to 5.0mph throughout the duration of the run.  Well, needless to say, that did not happen.  My legs were STIFF, particularly my calves and shin area.  I was able to push 15 minutes of running at 4.4mph.  Then I went right down to 3.0mph for quite some time to give my legs a rest.  I didn't want to quit completely so I thought walking is better than nothing.  Once I felt a bit better I went up to 3.2mph and then up by .2mph as I got stronger, and likely as my muscles fully warmed up.  The last 10 minutes of the run I was running at 4.4mph.  The cool down I did at 3.2mph.

Overall it was a good workout today!  I'm going to sleep like a rock tonight.  LOL!  There will be extra stretching this evening and I may even take a soak in an epsom salt bath.  My poor legs.  I feel confident in reading what my body can and can't do during my runs.  Not being too hard on myself when I need to kick it down is a huge accomplishment and incredible progress.  I'd rather take it slow than push myself and cause injury.  I'm just happy I made it over 3 miles today!  

This run is dedicated to my lovely friends, mentors and just all around amazing ladies from The Human Bean at City Place Mall (main floor), Rom and Gina!  It's their Grand Opening today and I'm sad I couldn't make it but happy I was able to spend some time there yesterday with them.  It's an amazing location and I wish them all of the best in their new endeavour.  There are no words to describe what this mother and daughter duo mean to me.  They inspire me to no end and are huge lights in my life that I am so blessed to have.  If you get a chance to pop in there to see them, please do!  Tell them I sent you.  :-)  Love you both to the moon and back and just know this journey is going to be amazing.

Today's soundtrack is super good!  I'm so happy I came across it in my search for what to run to today.  Steve Aoki is so freaking talented.  If you're looking for a fun documentary to watch on Netflix check out his called Steve Aoki: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.  He has a new, kind of a best of album on Apple Music (likely elsewhere too but this is what I use) called The Retrospective Mix: 2011 - 2017 which is what I ran to today.  Here are the songs I made it through:

All Night - Steve Aoki & Lauren Jauregui
Feel (The Power of Now) - Steve Aoki & Headhunterz
Delirious (Boneless) [feat. Kid Ink] - Steve Aoki, Chris Lake & Tujamo
Turbulence (feat. Lil Jon) [Radio Edit] - Steve Aoki & Laidback Luke
Melody (Radio Mix) - Steve Aoki, Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike & Ummet Ozcan
Cake Face
Kolony Anthem (feat. iLoveMakonnen & Bok Nero) 
Lit (feat. Gucci Main & T-Pain) - Steve Aoki & Yellow Claw
How Else (feat. Rich the Kid & iLoveMakonnen) 
Without U (feat. 2 Chainz) [E] - Steve Aoki & DVBBS
Thank You Very Much (feat. Sonny Digital) - Steve Aoki & Ricky Remedy
Been Ballin (feat. Lil Uzi Vert)
Night Call (feat. Lil Yachty & Migos) [MAKJ & Steve Aoki Remix]
Singularity (feat. My Name Is Kay) [Tim Mason Remix] - Steve Aoki & Angger Dimas
I Love It When You Cry (Moxoki) [Radio Edit] - Steve Aoki & Moxie Raia
Back 2 U (feat. WALK the MOON) - Steve Aoki & Boehm

There are more great songs on there and I plan to run to them on one of my long runs coming up!  

Toque hair, don't care!  
Gina

Comments